Cigna’s Coach Rx program, Aetna’s Rx Healthy Outcomes program, and Humana’s Medication Therapy Management program are some examples of programs that are designed to improve patient adherence to treatments. Cigna’s Coach Rx program is designed for the customers of Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy as well as beneficiaries who are at risk for nonadherence. Aetna’s Rx Healthy Outcomes program, on the other hand, is designed for patients who have experienced a heart attack while Humana’s Medication Therapy Management program is designed for patients who have chronic diseases. More details regarding these three programs are outlined below.
Cigna’s CoachRx Program
- Cigna is a global health service company that offers health insurance and Medicare plans to individuals and businesses. To improve patient adherence to treatment, Cigna offers the CoachRx program. This is designed for beneficiaries who are at risk for nonadherence.
- Cigna’s CoachRx program is designed to improve patient adherence to treatment by providing educational resources on how to improve adherence. However, the program provides more than just educational materials.
- Cigna introduced Coach Rx to specifically help customers of Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy identify some personal barriers to taking their medications then provide ways to help them adhere to these medications. Coach Rx is a program that involves an interactive website wherein patients can take self-assessment to help them identify their barriers.
- After the self-assessment, patients can then sign up for daily reminders through different ways such as emails, voicemails, or text messages. There’s a reminder for taking vital signs like blood sugar levels or blood pressure, a reminder for refilling a prescription, and there’s also a reminder for scheduled medical appointments.
- Aside from the reminders, the Coach Rx program also includes free pillboxes to organize medications, discount coupons to lessen costs, and educational resources to understand medical conditions. There are also medication coaching sessions for those who need additional assistance.
- According to Yi Zheng, Cigna’s assistant vice president of pharmacy clinical programs, “We want to reach individuals with information in a way that will do the most good. People’s schedules today are already hectic, which is why we’re trying to help in ways that work best for them.” Zheng added, “We know that staying on track with medications is not always easy. That’s when we’re here to help.”
- The program is found to be effective as Cigna discovered that 64% of beneficiaries who participate in the CoachRx program were more able to adhere to medication plans.
Aetna’s Rx Healthy Outcomes Program
- Aetna is a leading health care company that offers health insurance and other plans to individuals, families, or employers. It is a subsidiary company of CVS Health Corporation.
- Aetna’s Rx Healthy Outcomes program increases medication adherence by combining pharmacist outreach with value-based insurance design. This program is designed for patients who have experienced a heart attack.
- In this program, a pharmacist would call a patient within a week of discharge to explain the medications or reconcile new medicines with the patient’s previous regimen. The call is also intended to answer questions from the patient or to connect the patient with care providers.
- This program also aims to eliminate or reduce copays for targeted prescription drugs as well as increase personalized support for Aetna members. Through this, Aetna seeks to help members who had a heart attack in the past to effectively take the medications that will improve their health and will lower their chances of experiencing another attack.
- According to Lonny Reisman, Aetna’s chief medical officer, “As a cardiologist, I know that optimal clinical outcomes depend on patients following recommended treatments. Today’s cardiac medications are well-established in greatly reducing a patient’s chances of having a second heart attack and living longer. Still, only about 40 percent of patients follow the medication regimen after having a heart attack. Armed with new and growing evidence about patient behavior, we can help high-risk members address their personal barriers to adherence.”
- Through Aena’s Rx Healthy Outcomes program, drug adherence rates have been increased by 6.2 percentage points for statins and 4.4 percentage points for beta-blockers. This is in comparison to other adherence programs that do not involve pharmacist outreach. Patients who participated in the Rx Healthy Outcomes program also experienced a lower rate of stroke.
Humana’s Medication Therapy Management Program
- Humana is a Kentucky-based health insurance company. Humana’s Medication Therapy Management (MTM) program aims to optimize therapeutic outcomes by focusing on and promoting adherence, effectiveness, safety, and lower-cost alternatives. Through this program, Humana desires to ensure that patients are getting the best possible result from their medications.
- This program improves adherence by promoting collaboration among patients, pharmacists, and prescribers to optimize effective and safe medication use.
- This program is for those who have a Humana-covered Medicare Advantage prescription drug plan (MAPD) as well as for prescription drug plan (PDP) patients who have at least three of these chronic diseases: chronic heart failure, diabetes, asthma, dyslipidemia, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- According to William Fleming, Humana Vice President for Pharmacy and Clinical Integration, “MTM affords pharmacists the opportunity to play an even greater role in enhancing patient care and optimizing outcomes.”
- According to a survey conducted by MTM services, 85% of patients are having medication therapy problems. But during the course of the MTM program, 55% of patients who participated in the program improved in reaching certain clinical goals. Also, 93.3% of respondents agreed that there has been an improvement in their overall health and well-being because of the MTM program.