Common best practices for marketing medical devices to consumers and healthcare professionals are personalization, having informative websites, utilizing social media marketing, and search engine optimization.
Medical Device Marketing to Consumers
Five best practices in marketing medical devices directly to consumers are utilizing personalized marketing campaigns, creating informative websites, focusing on the benefits, search engine optimization and utilizing social media marketing.
- Experts recommend utilizing personalized campaigns when marketing medical devices to consumers, as consumers are uninterested in mass marketing campaigns that do not align with their personal values and interests.
- Personalization was mentioned by multiple credible experts as a best practice for marketing medical devices directly to consumers.
- According to Epsilon research, “80% of consumers are more likely to do business with a company if it offers a personalized experience.”
2. Informative Website
- It is important for medical device companies to have an informative website for consumers, as many consumers are looking for medical information prior to visiting a doctor.
- An informative website was chosen as a best practice because it was mentioned as a best practice for medical device companies as well as for B2C health and wellness companies.
- According to Ghost Productions, “having a strong web presence is essential for modern companies. Whether you are targeting physicians, patients or hospital executives, you need to provide engaging web content such as blog posts, images and videos. Having an informative and engaging website enables potential customers to learn about your products at their convenience.”
3. Focus on Benefits
- Experts recommend that when medical device companies market directly to consumers, they focus on the overall value and benefit the device will provide rather than the device features.
- This was selected as a best practice as it is mentioned by multiple credible experts on the topic.
- According to Ghost Productions, “while it’s essential to thoroughly explain the elements of your device, demonstrating its value is crucial as well — especially if you’re marketing to consumers who might not understand the value intuitively after learning about the features. Content that focuses on the benefits a product provides to the user will be more engaging and compelling and be more likely to stick in the audience’s minds.”
4. Search Engine Optimization
- As consumers today grow accustomed to first researching information on the internet, medical device companies geared towards consumer use must focus on search engine optimization to ensure consumers can find their products.
- Search engine optimization was mentioned by multiple experts as an important method of marketing for medical device companies to reach consumers.
- According to Pew Research, “80% of Americans go to social media and the internet to research information about their health.”
5. Social Media Advertising
- Advertising on social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn is an important marketing tool for medical device manufacturers marketing direct to consumer, as these channels can help get the word out about the product to potential customers as well as those that can influence potential customers.
- Facebook is a good place for B2C medical device companies to advertise their products, as “it allows many different kinds of ads types (image, video, carousel, and more), sizes, and placements […] its targeting tools are some of the best ones out there, as you can target audiences by age, sex, location, behavior, interests, and more — not to mention its lookalike audience tool can help you find more prospects you might not have found otherwise.”
- Steve Anderson, CEO at Preceptis Medical, has seen success with social media marketing directly to consumers for their medical devices: “We recently kicked off a social media campaign to make parents aware that Preceptis has developed a surgical instrument (the Hummingbird) that enables ear tube surgery to be performed under conscious sedation, without the requirement for general anesthesia. In this instance, we strongly believe that parents and their pediatricians will influence the ENT community to provide this options. FYI, in 16 days, we have already had more than 30,000 hits (predominantly Facebook).”
Medical Device Marketing to Medical Professionals
Five of the most effective practices when marketing medical devices to medical professionals are search engine optimization, having an informative website, focusing on corporate branding, utilizing personalized marketing, and utilizing social media marketing.
1. Search Engine Optimization
- Experts recommend investing in search engine optimization in order to be visible to medical professionals. Specifically, it is recommended that companies utilize keyword optimization and backlinks on their website in order to appear higher (ideally on the first page) of search engine results. They also recommend investing in user optimization for the website in order to decrease the bounce rate, as a low bounce rate will improve search engine rankings.
- Appearing high in search engine results is incredibly important as 75% of searchers do not go past the first page of search results. As such, search engine optimization is a best practice.
- Search Enginge Optimization is extremely important as “72% of potential medical buyers start with a search online.”
- According to OppGen Marketing, “SEO is often an overlooked strategy for medical device companies because a lot of companies are still focused on traditional marketing. Unlike other types of digital marketing strategies, SEO is a long-term strategy that takes time, strategic planning, and great content to produce consistent results. The good news is that since a lot of medical device companies are lacking cohesive SEO strategies, there’s ample opportunity to compete on search engines.”
2. Informative Website
- 89% of B2B buyers will utilize the web — and therefore a company’s website — prior to interacting with anyone in the sales team. If the potential buyer cannot find the information they need on the website, they may fall out of the sales funnel. Therefore, medical device companies should create a robust, informative website for their medical devices.
- The website also needs to be kept up-to-date, as an old website can lead to assumptions that the company is no longer operating or that the products are also out-of-date.
- The website should provide valuable content for the medical professional — articles, graphs, case studies, etc.
- Having an up-to-date, informative website was mentioned by multiple credible experts as one of the most important factors in medical device marketing.
3. Corporate Branding
- Experts recommend investing in company branding efforts in order to ensure a wide array of medical professionals are aware of the value the brand provides. Brands should create a marketing campaign in order to differentiate themselves from competitors. The campaign should communicate the brand values to customers and connect with customers in a meaningful way.
- Corporate branding was chosen as a best practice because it was mentioned by multiple credible experts as an important aspect of marketing to medical professionals for medical device companies.
- According to Bloomcreative, “brands build trust, differentiate you from competitors, and often become tangible value in and of themselves. A strong brand acts as an insurance policy against unknown competitors. Just like Kleenex, you can become the default choice when a clinician or healthcare system is looking for their next device.”
- Formal brand guidelines can help with corporate branding. Surveys have found that only 25% of brands had formal branding guidelines that were enforced, meaning that many brands are missing out on the impact of strong corporate branding.
- Experts recommend focusing on personalized marketing when trying to reach busy medical professionals. Personalization means “tailoring messages to the specific concerns of a target audience versus sending generic messages to everyone. This requires understanding the needs, motivations and challenges of today’s doctors and executives.”
- For example, personalized emails, or those with messages directly targeted to the type of individual consumer, drive 18x more revenue than emails that are sent to a general audience.
- Personalization in marketing for healthcare practitioners is important because different types of practitioners look for different types of content and have different concerns.
5. Social Media Marketing
- Social media marketing can be a great way for medical device companies to reach medical professionals.
- Social media marketing was mentioned as a best practice for medical device companies looking to reach a B2B audience by multiple credible experts, thus making it a best practice.
- According to QuantiaMD, “65 percent of physicians use social media sites for professional reasons.” According to the Journal of Medical Research, “24 percent of physicians use social media daily to learn new medical information.”